[gmx-developers] pdb2gmx default water model

Thomas Piggot t.piggot at soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 16 20:07:46 CEST 2010

Maybe I am wrong but I thought that different water models are more (or
less) appropriate for certain systems, as well as being forcefield
dependant?

For example SPC has been shown to perform better than SPC/e when
simulating membranes (Tieleman and Berendsen 1996 J Chem Phys) but SPC/e
is better than SPC when simulating proteins (Hess and van der Vegt 2006
J Phys Chem B). Doesn't this make things more complex than having a
single appropriate default model for a forcefield?

And also what about the issues where it is not so clear as to which
model is the appropriate default. For example CHARMM TIP3P Vs. standard
TIP3P model for use with the CHARMM forcefield. Would it be standard
TIP3P because of the increase in speed as discussed in the recent
ffcharmm paper or would the more commonly used CHARMM TIP3P be a better
choice?

Because of these points I think having SCP/e as default with a clear
message saying that the user should be warned that this may not be the
best water model for their system would be the best way to handle this.

Cheers

Tom

--
Dr Thomas Piggot