[gmx-developers] pdb2gmx default water model

Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Jun 16 20:22:05 CEST 2010

> Because of these points I think having SCP/e as default with a clear
> message saying that the user should be warned that this may not be the
> best water model for their system would be the best way to handle this.

There are essentially no simulations performed with SPC/E with
CHARMM/AMBER/OPLS-AA, so at least having a ff dependent choice is pretty
much required if you want to make it user friendly.  SPC/E + AMBER =
reviewer rejection, most likely.  Using standard TIP3P with CHARMM is
frequently done, so that's not totally egregious, just not best practices.
The differences are not gigantic.

Michael Shirts
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemical Engineering