[gmx-developers] `GLIBC_2.7' not found

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Fri May 21 16:14:07 CEST 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Gaurav Goel <gauravgoeluta at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that for all subsequent changes I make to gmx_visco.c, I
> only need to enter "make gmx_visco" in src/tools.
>
> The executable 'g_visco' runs fine on my work computer. However, when
> I copied the executable 'g_visco' to the Ohio Supercomputer Cluster, I
> got this error:
> g_visco: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by g_visco)
>
> Do I need to add any additional flags to my build to make sure this
> executable is transferable to different platforms?

nope. you need an older linux. glibc is only backward compatible
but not forward compatible. if you copy a binary that was built with
a newer glibc to a machine with an older glibc, you get this failure.
there are ways around this, but they are messy.

it is probably easiest to just recompile on the OSC machine.

cheers,
   axel.