[gmx-developers] Bug 597 and previous diff: any hint to a confused gromacs source code newbie?

ms devicerandom at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 20:59:19 CET 2010

Hi,

I have to correct bug 597. To understand if and why, the bugzilla thread
and the thread on the users mailing list:
http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2010-October/054950.html
can help :)

Now, I am trying to make sense of it, but before I noticed that Michael
Shirts has indeed already tried to fix the code. However the commit was
part of a huge "mistake" commit from a personal branch, as evidenced in
this mail:

http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-developers/2010-January/003884.html

Now, what I can't make sense of, are:

1)Is that patch fine to fix bug 597?

2)Is it enough for me to gather from that commit the dihres.c and
possibly the (new) functions it calls, and go from there, or is there
someone (possibly the author) who can explain me what are also the
relevant parts to patch? It seems to me that it changes quite a lot in
the file and I don't think I understand it all.

Thanks a lot. While I am an acquainted Python programmer, I have little
C experience and none with Gromacs source, so bear with me!

Yours truly,
Massimo
--
Massimo Sandal, Ph.D.