[gmx-developers] Marto Carle routine for Gromacs

Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu
Tue Sep 28 00:36:41 CEST 2010

This reminds me about some of the "more coordination" emails that have been
going on.  It seems like there should be "working groups" that are focused
on implementing different features, or different classes of features.

For example, Sander Pronk and I had been doing some independent free energy
calculation improvement, and it took a while to synchronize things once we
started working together.  There are probably a few more people that are
implementing free energy calculations independently, and Sander and I should
be working with them as well.

The more people are working together, the more easily different
functionality can be integrated together, and duplicate work is eliminated.
And the smarter, more general, and cleaner the implementation usually is,
since people have to compromise and compare notes.

Also, programming Gromacs is hard, and it's easy to make mistakes and create
features that don't fit well with the rest of the programs.  If your name
isn't Berk, David, or Erik, odds are the first 2-3 times you implement
something, it won't fit with something in the main Gromacs framework.  And
you have to rewrite it.  Working together minimizes (to some extent) such
problems.

There are a number of other things that could probably be grouped together
into working groups, aside from Monte Carlo and free energy methods, based
on this:

http://www.gromacs.org/Developer_Zone/Roadmap

For example, Python libraries for gromacs types, integrators, integrated
test sets.

I don't think I have wiki permission, so I can't set this up, but I think it
would be a good idea.  There could possibly be mailing lists for each of
these groups, though I don't know what the extra work entailed in that would
be. Though, I'd be willing to manage, say, a free energy methods working
group, once there was general sign-off and some infrastructure for it on the
web site.  And I'd participate in other working groups (MC, test cases).

Best,
Michael Shirts
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemical Engineering