[gmx-developers] Adding computing kernels in shared linked library

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 25 12:09:30 CEST 2011

On 25/08/2011 7:11 PM, Sebastian Jodłowski wrote:
> But how could it be a non-reproducible calculation if every run of
> non-library version gives literally the same results and every run of
> library version gives also the same results (but different from from
> non-library version) - it is a deterministic algorithm and all
> calculations are done in the same order.

Each calculation on its own can be reproducible, but they do not
necessarily reproduce each other. For example different compilation
and/or linking optimization might lead to different orders of operations
and thus results. See
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Reproducibility

>   Adding -reprod doesn't change
> anything.

OK. Can you compile both versions without optimizations, and link
statically, and see if they can reproduce each other? If not, then you
will have to get out a debugger and find the point they diverge.

Mark