[gmx-developers] site specific dH/dl

Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Jun 23 14:38:21 CEST 2011

> Strictly speaking it is not well posed.
> But in practice this might often be a useful thing to do.

I think it's probably better to turn an ill-posed question into a well-posed
question before going much further in trying to solve it!

> But I have worked on coupling small solutes into a polymer matrix,
> which often needs to be large. In that case be able to independently
> couple several molecules would be very useful.

So, I think what one wants to describe coupling is (ddG_coupling) =
(dG_both)-(dG_1 + dG_2), where the three calculations are all performed
independently.

> If the system here is a homo-dimer, you don't need the two numbers,
> you can simply divide the total by two. But if they would couple,
> this might not be correct.

With even a homodimer, there is still coupling -- but there you can compute
(ddG_coupling) = (dG_both)-(2*dG_1), with only two calculations.

Best,
Michael Shirts
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemical Engineering