[gmx-developers] tpic run option - potential energy meaning

João M. Damas jmdamas at itqb.unl.pt
Sat Mar 5 01:36:25 CET 2011

Hi Berk,

Thanks for your answer. Ok, so tpic should be disregarding that internal
energy and giving me what I said in the first e-mail (intermolecular energy
between the inserted molecule and the rest of the system). The steepest is
not. Still, I'm surprised to get such a big difference from inserting a
molecule with two atoms.

I ran a few more tests to check this out. First of all, I must correct a
previous statement: I used g_energy because I was doing a -rerun when doing
steep. Now I've corrected that and I'm running a real steep with nsteps=0
(that answers your question Javier, I think). I don't get an .edr from that,
so I just use the potential energy output in the log file.

So, I inserted a two atom molecule in time=0 with nsteps=2 (two insertions
in the same frame with different orientations). I got the dumped
conformation with the epot from tpic. From those dumped conformations I ran
the steep I mentioned. I got these results:

           |         tpic
step 0  |  1.82452e+08
step 1  |  1.33190e+08

           |     noligand      |       ligand      |   difference
step 0  |  -3.68255e+04 |  1.86556e+08 | 1.86593e+08
step 1  |  -3.68255e+04 |  1.36063e+08 |   1.361e+08

           |    difference - tpic
step 0  |       4.141e+06
step 1  |       2.910e+06

Why such a discrepancy in the internal energy between the two cases? Since
the inserted molecule is the same, step 0 and step 1 should be equal in the
last calculation, no?

For reference, the same calculation using just a CL- ion:

           |         tpic
step 0  |  1.00584e+07
step 1  |  9.52561e+06

           |     noligand      |       ligand      |   difference
step 0  |  -3.68255e+04 |  1.00217e+07 | 1.00585e+08
step 1  |  -3.68255e+04 |  9.48887e+06 |   9.5257e+06

           |    difference - tpic
step 0  |           100
step 1  |            90

Once again, thank you for your answers, Berk and Javier.

Regards,
João

João M. Damas
PhD Student