[gmx-developers] Bug merging from release to master

Berk Hess hess at cbr.su.se
Thu Mar 10 14:18:49 CET 2011

On 03/10/2011 02:01 PM, Roland Schulz wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 5:44 AM,<mwolf at gwdg.de>  wrote:
>> I want to merge release-4-5-patches and master after a bugfix. I get
>> conflicts that are not related to my changes. If I understand the
>> discussion correct this comes from the code movement that has happened in
>> master.
> For me it has helped before to set
> git config merge.renameLimit 3000
> If you then redo the merge it might be able to merge it correctly.
>
> Roland

release-4-5-patches and master have diverged and will diverge more in
the near future.
We would of course like to have all bug fixes of 4.5 into master. But we
need to come
up with a proper policy for doing this, as it could soon become very
tedious.
So please do not commit any merges or bug-fixes into master which are
also in 4.5-patches
without explicit authorization from the core developers.

We will soon announce the policies and release plans for the near future.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Berk