[gmx-developers] Reaction Filed crash!

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 3 19:34:13 CEST 2011

Miguel Machuqueiro wrote:

> [...]
> minimization/initialization procedure. Simple/regular procedures leads
> to crashs within 10 ns of simulation. More elaborate protocols of
> minimization/initialization can delay the crashs a little longer.
>  - The system crashes independently of the number of "threads" used (1-12).
>  - The instability only leads to crashs when dealing with proteins >100
> a.a.. Simulating a 15 a.a. peptide for over 1 microsecond does not lead
> to a crash.
>  - No problem/crash is observed when using PME.
>  - No problem/crash is observed when using GMX versions prior to 4.0.7.
>
> My question is this, what might have happen with the RF code between
> versions 4.0.x and 4.5.x that leads to this problem? Or is there any
> specific parameter to be used with RF/Cutoff to avoid these problems?
>
> Even though RF is not very popular with GMX developers, it has been
> essential for the development of our in house Constant-pH MD method
> (http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Constant_pH_Simulation
> <http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Constant_pH_Simulation?highlight=constant+pH>).
>
> On a typical MD run we use the following MDP file, or a similar one.
>
> ________________
> integrator               = md
> tinit                    = 0
> dt                       = 0.002
> nsteps                   = 5000000
> comm-mode                = Linear
> nstcomm                  = 1
> nstxout                  = 0
> nstvout                  = 0
> nstfout                  = 0
> nstlog                   = 5000
> nstenergy                = 5000
> nstxtcout                = 5000
> xtc-precision            = 1000
> energygrps               = Protein SOL
> nstlist                  = 5
> ns_type                  = grid
> pbc                      = xyz
> periodic_molecules       = no
> rlist                    = 0.9
> coulombtype              = Reaction-Field
> rcoulomb-switch          = 0
> rcoulomb                 = 1.4
> epsilon_r                = 1
> epsilon_rf               = 54
> vdwtype                  = Cut-off
> rvdw-switch              = 0
> rvdw                     = 1.4
> DispCorr                 = No
> tcoupl                   = berendsen
> tc-grps                  = Protein SOL
> tau-t                    = 0.1 0.1
> ref-t                    = 298.15 298.15
> Pcoupl                   = berendsen
> Pcoupltype               = Isotropic
> tau-p                    = 0.5
> compressibility          = 4.5e-5
> ref-p                    = 1
> refcoord_scaling         = No
> gen_vel                  = no
> constraints              = all-bonds
> constraint_algorithm     = lincs
> lincs-order              = 4
> lincs-iter               = 1
> lincs-warnangle          = 90
> ___________________________
>
> Thank you for any help you can assist us.

Sporadic crashes have been reported for systems that are stable under 4.0.x and
not 4.5.x.  The solution that seems to have worked is to adjust the nsttcouple
and nstpcouple values.  See the discussion here (and subsequent posts in the
thread):

http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2011-September/064232.html

-Justin

> Regards,
> Miguel

> Miguel Machuqueiro
> Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
> Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon
> Campo Grande, Edifício C8 (sala 8.5.47)
> 1749-016 Lisboa, Portugal
> Tel.  : +351 217500112 (int.ext.28547)
> Mobile: +351 967562285