[gmx-developers] additional rtp entries

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 28 17:26:48 CEST 2011

On 29/09/2011 1:06 AM, Alexey Shvetsov wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:03:34 +1000, Mark Abraham wrote:
>> On 28/09/2011 8:29 PM, Alexey Shvetsov wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> Also why not make some common directory under $GMXDATA/top for such
>>> things as cofactors? for example amrbe99* series forcefields has
>>> compatible atom definitions for cofactors same for amber94 based
>>> ones. May be this will work for contributed cofactor topology?
>>
>> How would you make it easy for users to know that they exist and with
>> which force field they should be used?
> They can be in directory with name like ligands.amber99 so they can be
> included in rtp entry search while running pdb2gmx. I can made patches
> to realize so.

If these .rtp entries are only valid for one force field, then they
should go in its .rtp or nowhere. If they're valid for more than one
force field, some mapping must exist between an .rtp entry and its legal
force fields. Why is writing machinery in pdb2gmx to manage this mapping
preferable to requiring a user to obtain a custom amber99XX.ff/ tarball
from a contributions section?

>> The real problem is that anything in the repository has to have
>> someone prepared to take responsibility for checking, documenting and
>> maintaining it, and developers' time is finite. I think a
>> contributions section is a good place for such content. Now users can
>> clearly understand that the level of support implied is distinct, and
>> a web search will find it.
> Yes contribution page is good thing (and it contain some variants of
> forcefields and itps for limited set of ligands) but there should be
> easy way to include new rtp entryes in ff.

There is a reasonably straightforward way to include new entries in a
force field - see
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Adding_a_Residue_to_a_Force_Field.
I do not yet see the benefits of new rtp entries in the main GROMACS
repository. We don't have the resources to curate a universal library of
useful stuff.

Mark