[gmx-developers] Mails rejected with "The message's content type was not explicitly allowed"

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Sun Aug 26 00:08:45 CEST 2012

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 5:45 PM, Rossen Apostolov <rossen at kth.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> +1
>
> I support moving to a hosted solution, and I also like the stackexchange
> format a lot!
>
> Is there a way to import the archives into google groups? Import won't
> work for stackexchange.
They don't have a build in import.
https://github.com/wojdyr/fityk/wiki/MigrationToGoogleGroups is an
option. With the limit of 300msg/5min (=3600msg/hrs)
(http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2524618) we
could import several years of archive in a day.

Roland

> [...]
>> attachments and getting problems with Uppsala IT, I would like to
>> suggest (again) to use a hosted solution. That should reduce the admin
>> effort and increase the features: e.g. better spam filter and better
>> web archive with better searching, sorting, sticky topics and so on.
>> We could use either normal google groups (by forwarding the emails
>> from e.g. gmx-users at gromacs.org to gmx-users at googlegroups.com) or by
>> using "Google Groups for Business" which would be $5/month. I tested
>> it a bit with my google apps account and it seems it would be easy to
>> migrate.
>>
>> I'm also wondering whether a mailing list is the best format for
>> gmx-users. I personally prefer the stackexchange format. And thus I
>> would think it would be better to have gromacs user questions on there
>> with all questions tagged with "gromacs". Probably the best site would
>> be http://scicomp.stackexchange.com/. I think the two biggest
>> advantages of that format would be: 1) it would automatically build up
>> a FAQ, 2) more general questions about MD would maybe attract also
>> users of other MD packages.
>>
>> Roland
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Erik Lindahl <erik at kth.se> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I don't have anything against HTML mails at all, but after several
>>> complaints by Uppsala IT admins about catching viruses and spam that got
>>> through the list by increasingly smart tricks, the obvious solution was to
>>> disable it so we simply did not have to worry about getting mail shut down.
>>>
>>> Right this minute the webserver on the mail machine is down, but I am
>>> perfectly fine with somebody configuring the webserver to make sure it works
>>> well with HTML and gmail - provided that person goes through it in detail
>>> and makes sure there are no loopholes that suddenly re-enable spam or
>>> viruses.  Berk & Rossen should have the password - I'll be a bit busy and
>>> traveling over the weekend!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Erik
>>>
>>> On Aug 23, 2012, at 2:59 AM, Berk Hess <hess at kth.se> wrote:
>>>
>>> On 08/23/2012 08:45 AM, Rossen Apostolov wrote:
>>>
>>> On 2012-08-21 22.08, Szilárd Páll wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm quite puzzled why is the gmx-users still rejecting non-plain text
>>> messages. There has not been a single opinion in favor of keeping the
>>> mailing list crippled.
>>>

>>> Erik wrote already in this thread why he changed the setting.
>>>
>>> I think most of us agree on not allowing attachments.
>>> But not allowing html makes quickly replying to the mailing list cumbersome,
>>> which makes the mailing list less useful, as less people will reply.
>>> All developers, except for Erik who didn't veto it either, are in favor of
>>> allowing
>>> html content. So I would ask to allow html content again.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Berk
>>>

>>> So  once again, Rossen (or someone else with the appropriate credentials),

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309