[gmx-developers] FW: Gromacs quotes

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Dec 15 21:53:29 CET 2012

I concur. I can help look through the list too. I remember seeing a quote or two that came across as sexist and that should go.

Best,
Erik

15 dec 2012 kl. 08.45 skrev Tsjerk Wassenaar:

> I second that. The criterium should be restrictive: if it can be insulting to some or is of questionable taste, then it shouldn't be in there. I do like the references to MD from literature, like Shakespeare and this one:
>
> "I will for a night put on the needful restraints." Ivanhoe, Sir Walter Scott
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tsjerk
>

> On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:
>

> On 12/14/12 4:27 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 2012-12-14 21:55, Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) wrote:
> FYI, from my student.  We also have to turn these off in F at H to avoid
> complaints.
>
> Might it be time to retire the quotes? Do we feel it has that much of a
> purpose?  I wonder if it's causing more trouble than it's worth . . .
>
> Maybe replace them with ads for the NRA?
> Sorry, also bad taste.
>
> We had discussion on it previously and the naysayers were less vocal than the
> proponents at the time.
>
> Does it have a purpose? It can put a smile on someone's face.
>
> Otherwise,
> setenv GMX_NO_QUOTES 1
> Or maybe we can make it a cmake option ;).
>
> I don't feel particularly strongly either way, but the complaint related to some inappropriate content is well taken.  I think there are some quotes that probably don't belong.  I'm not easily offended, but maybe we should make an effort to eliminate any quotes that can be seen as objectionable, as there are a few that may be seen as such due to foul language or other reasons.
>
> Disabling the feature with an environment variable is fine (and documented!) but I think, at the very least, we should clean up the database, since the onus is on us, the developers, to produce a user-friendly product.  I'm a big fan of witty quips, though :)  Maybe the database should simply focus on humorous quotes from the developers and other influential people?  Just a thought.
>
> "If I had a dime for every time I posted a link to the wiki..." (J. Lemkul)  ;)
>
> -Justin

> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
> Research Scientist
> Department of Biochemistry
> Virginia Tech
> Blacksburg, VA
> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080

> Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.
>
> post-doctoral researcher
> Biocomputing Group
> Department of Biological Sciences
> 2500 University Drive NW
> Calgary, AB T2N 1N4
> Canada

Erik Marklund, PhD
Husargatan 3, Box 596,    75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:    +46 18 471 6688        fax: +46 18 511 755
erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
http://www2.icm.uu.se/molbio/elflab/index.html