[gmx-developers] FW: Gromacs quotes

ms devicerandom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 17:28:29 CET 2012

On 19/12/12 16:37, Tsjerk Wassenaar wrote:
> I sometimes have that feeling, right after saying something blunt, going
> "Oh, I shouldn't have said that", or "Me and my big mouth". Now I see
> how that makes me bend over backwards to a prudish, thin-skinned and, if
> relevant, unscientific populace. It's an inner drive to self-censorship
> I should do away with. Of course, the consequence may be that I end up
> feeling pretty lonely. But the freedom of speech is at stake! If people
> don't like you because you don't give in to self-censorship, it's their
> fault! Yet, the outcome may be lonely...

It's funny you say that to be sarcastic, clearly, but that's pretty much
how I feel and reason. I see being blunt as a positive thing, and I feel
usually bad for the opposite, like "I *should* have said that, why
didn't I?". I prefer to have less friends but good ones, than having a
lot of people around that like me but that I couldn't care less. I don't
care about being lonely sometimes, I'd rather have that than being
around lots of shallow people who are easily offended.

Of course this means I'm not very good at networking, and this is a big
no-no in academia. Whatever, that's what I am, and trust me: I'm really,
really packed of character flaws and other wrong things I should correct
of myself: but talking straight is not one of these.

Anyway, if you gmx devels decide to do the quote-cleaning, that's fine
by me. It's just a bit sad, and not what I'd have done. But it's *your*
software, and thus it has to be your choice: not mine, nor that of
people who ask you to self censor. :)

> What the heck. Let's bend over backwards a little bit to those prudish,
> think-skinned and overall unscientific user base. Maybe we can teach
> them a thing or two with the other quotes...

I think we should teach them there is no right not to be offended, but
well... :)

--
Massimo Sandal, Ph.D.
http://devicerandom.org