[gmx-developers] FW: Gromacs quotes

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Dec 19 18:21:35 CET 2012

On 12/19/12 12:07 PM, ms wrote:
> On 19/12/12 17:34, Justin Lemkul wrote:
>>

>> On 12/19/12 10:04 AM, ms wrote:
>>> Moderation, as an absolute concept, doesn't exist. Everything can be
>>> "extreme"
>>> or "moderate", depending on where you are in your opinions. I
>>> personally see
>>> this "moderate solution" as a rather extreme example of self-censorship.
>>>

>> Deleting a handful of quotes out of nearly 400 is extreme?
>
> IMHO yes, even *one* would be too many, because it's a matter of principle. You
> see? Everyone is different! That's why (again, IMHO) to talk about "moderation"
> or "offensiveness" is an entirely subjective concept and, as such, problematic.
>
>> Excuse me if I'm prudish and thin-skinned for finding it very
>> insensitive that a program at random may print out "killing children"
>> (irrespective of context) after a massacre in our country that brings
>> back horrific memories of a similar event that took place a few hundred
>> feet from where I work every day and affected me deeply.
>
> Justin, I have utmost respect for your work and for the immense help you give
> everyday on the gmx mailing lists. I was just praising you, making your name, to
> a student of mine telling him to join the mailing list. But yes: that's a bit
> thin-skinned. Affected you deeply? Children die every day, it's not that their
> death is more important if it's geographically closer to us. And it's weird that
> you complain, given that you surely know well what is the concept of parent and
> child processes in UNIX. You find it insensitive nonetheless? Do you have some
> deeper reason to be offended by that, a loss in family or whatever? Sure I
> understand. Turn the quotes off in your environment, and be happy this way.

Please don't belittle or pretend to know what I am experiencing and have
previously.  I know people that died that horrific day on this campus.

I think this thread is becoming unproductive.  We've voiced our opinions.  I am
done defending my opinion on this matter and I hope the core developers see a
bit of reason beyond this ridiculous academic exercise as this point.

Research Scientist
Department of Biochemistry
Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA