[gmx-developers] Minor CMAKE/fftw3 problem VS2010 x64 - finally solved

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Tue Feb 28 00:58:15 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Mirco Wahab <
mirco.wahab at chemie.tu-freiberg.de> wrote:

> Am 28.02.2012 00:02, schrieb Roland Schulz:
> >
> >     cmake -G "Visual Studio 10 Win64"       ^
> >       -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="D:/Gromacs46"  ^
> >       -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=D:/Lib64           ^
> >       -DGMX_GSL=ON                           ^
> >       -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS=" /openmp /wd4273 /DGSL_DLL /DFFTW_DLL /DWIN32
> >     /D_WINDOWS /W3 /Zm1000" ^
> >        ..\gromacs
> >

> > Why do you need the /D(GSL|FFTW)_DLL options? For FFTW it seems to work
> > without (never tried GSL on Windows)?
>
> If you use the same header file on windows for building
> the shared library (dll) and using the library (gsl.h, fftw3.h),
> the  functions exported get different signatures, eg. (from fftw3.h)
>
>    FFTW_EXTERN void X(execute_dft)(const X(plan) p, C *in, C *out);
>
> For building the shared library:
>    define FFTW_EXTERN extern __declspec(dllexport)
> for using the shared library:
>    define FFTW_EXTERN extern __declspec(dllimport)
>
> When using static linkage, it's simply
>    define FFTW_EXTERN extern
> for either one.
>
> If the libraries are build as dll, then
> (eg.) FFTW_DLL and COMPILING_FFTW are defined,
> if they are "used" (like here), FFTW_DLL generates
> the correct signature  __declspec(dllexport) (same with GSL).
>
> This wouldn't be necessary if we had patched header files
> with the correct exports hard coded. This would be possible too.

I know almost nothing about Windows DLL linking. So I don't quite
understand what your saying and assume you're right. But somehow I got it
working without this FFTW_DLL. See here:
http://jenkins.gromacs.org/job/Gromacs_Gerrit_4_6/405/OPTIONS=Compiler=msvc%20CompilerVersion=2010%20host=bs_Win7_64,label=bs_Win7_64/consoleFull
Thus I'm confused why you need it.

> >     devenv Gromacs.sln /build Release ^
> >         /project ALL_BUILD /projectconfig Release ^
> >         /project RUN_TESTS /project INSTALL
> >
> >     (with '^' beeing the "line continuation" in windows cmd scripts.)
> >
> >     To make this happen, there are two minor patches in
> src/tools/geminate.c
> >     and src/tools/gmx_kinetics.c necessary.
> >     (
> http://spule.compch.tu-freiberg.de/~wahab/gromacs/win.4.6-dev-20120226.diff
> )
> >     I already "comitted" them to a newly created gerrit-account
> >     but I'm not sure if I made no mistake.
> >
> > I can't see them on https://gerrit.gromacs.org . Let me know if you need
> > help.
>
> I can't push any modification from windows git due to ssh error I can't
> figure out:
>   $ git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master
>     The server's host key is not cached in the registry. You
>     have no guarantee that the server is the computer you
>     think it is.
>     The server's rsa2 key fingerprint is:
>     ssh-rsa 2048 fe:0d:87:74:37:7b:44:76:7b:0b:04:67:1a:4b:86:d1
>     Connection abandoned.
>     fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
>
> But is *is* cached in  ~/.ssh/known_hosts (copied from "my" gerrit page):
>    $ cat ~/.ssh/known_hosts
>    gerrit.gromacs.org,130.237.25.133 ssh-rsa
>    AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABIwAAAQEAuyTfkPmc4hjEY8a1T
>    B7mVDI62rIOw==
>
> But what's meant by "not cached in the registry"? Hmmm ...
>
> The windows git/ssh (under mingw32) seems fragile. I'll try to figure ...
>
>   $ git --version
>   git version 1.7.9.msysgit.0

msysgit works for me. But yes the ssh is sometimes behaving odd. Try to ssh
to the machine once before using git:
ssh gerrit.gromacs.org -p 29418
(you will only get a welcome message - nothing useful. But hopefully this
connection sets up the key correctly)

Roland

> Thanks & Regards
>
> M.