[gmx-developers] private branch problem

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Tue Jul 10 18:20:08 CEST 2012

On 07/10/2012 06:06 PM, Roland Schulz wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Berk Hess <hess at kth.se> wrote:
>>> The difference is that to create branches and set permissions on
>>> git.gromacs.org one has to ask one of the admins. The private branches
>>> lets one create branches and set the permissions for the own private
>>> branches oneself.
>>>
>>> But personally I think github is more convenient to use and might be
>>> the best option for most private branches.
>>>
>>> Roland
>> There might be trade offs between simplicity, features and maintenance
>> effort.
>> I am not up to date on the configurations of the repositories and their
>> options.
>> It could be convenient to have the ability to use the gerrit testing
>> system on private branches,
> I don't think it is possible to configure Jenkins to auto-build for
> private branches. But it is possible to build using "Build now" (e.g.
> http://jenkins.gromacs.org/job/Gromacs_Gerrit_4_6/build) and give the
> ref of the private branch. This works with any ref valid on gerrit or
> git.gromacs.org. One cannot build branches which are only on external
> repos (e.g. github).
>
>> but on the other hand setting up a gerrit branch and especially pushing
>> up a draft
>> and triggering the build is non-trivial.
> I agree. But unless we have more man-power we will need to wait until
> others fix issues we report. All I can do is report bugs against
> Gerrit/Jenkins, which I have done quite extensively. The main issue
> with draft is going to be fixed in Gerrit 2.5
> (http://code.google.com/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=1437)
>
>> github might be the simplest option, but it would be good to concentrate
>> the different
>> gromacs "side"-projects in one place to create more of a community. The
>> question
>> is how much setup and maintenance effort this takes, as we are
>> chronically short of
>> project management man power.
> Yes that's why I added the private branches in Gerrit. Because that
> gave us a web-fronted for private repositories without much effort.
> Why do you think it is less user-friendly then it would be on
> git.gromacs.org? I don't think "git push origin
> HEAD:refs/private/rschulz/test" is cryptic. I think it is a good idea
> to have a username in the ref of private branches to know who is
> mainly responsible for a given branch. Without it is e.g. difficult to
> know whether a certain branch is still needed. Thus even on
> git.gromacs.org I would suggest to make it "git push origin
> HEAD:refs/rschulz/test". The reason on gerrit it has the extra
> "private" is that otherwise the web-ui for the permissions got
> overwhelming/confusing. And while the "private" makes it longer, I
> thought it isn't a big deal.
>
> Roland
So reading these mails it seems that private branches on gerrit might be
the best
solution and everything is already set up, except maybe the permissions.
I thinks we want to allow more people than just gmx-core to be able to
start a private branch.
But do we want to allow any registered user to do this? Then we have no
(a priori) control.

It would be good if a short description of the project is required for a
private branch
and that we can keep to of who has access or accesses the repositories.

Cheers,

Berk