[gmx-developers] gmx master: compiling on mac and segfault

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Sat Jul 28 03:00:15 CEST 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Szilárd Páll <szilard.pall at cbr.su.se> wrote:

> Note the *important* adjective above ;)
>
> XML and GSL is irrelevant and I think we can be a bit smart and prune some
> configs that we can be fairly confident that they're more or less
> equivalent.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "3 parallelization"; if it's MPI, tMPI, and OpenMP
> than it's two or four (depending on weather we want to test both MPI/tMPI +
> OpenMP on/off).
I meant no-mpi, libMPI, tMPI.

> The number of (CPU) acceleration types can be slightly
> reduced as I wouldn't consider anything but SSE/AVX that highly important.
> Also, I'd consider only three OS-es and on some of them not all compilers
> are available.
>
> So we're left with ~ 10x2x3x2x4 = 480 configs per OS (and less on Win).
Sure but then you are already missing many possible configurations.
I'm wondering whether it would make sense to pick randomly
configurations from the all-vs-all configuration matrix. The most
important configurations would already be tested by the Gerrit
auto-trigger and with the random selection all odd combinations have a
change to get picked over time.

> Assuming that each build takes ~3 min which is the case on 2-3 cores (note
> that I mean build only!),
No the build time is currently much higher on all VMs. The IO
performance is a significant factor.

> Even if we multiply the above 24h/4cores/OS with 3-4, it's still a rather
> manageable number especially that AFAIK hardware resources are not the
> biggest issue.
It should be easy to setup. I'm happy to help anyone who wants to add
more Jenkins jobs.

Roland