[gmx-developers] gmx master: compiling on mac and segfault

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Sat Jul 28 18:36:41 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM, Roland Schulz <roland at utk.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 10:56 PM, Szilárd Páll <szilard.pall at cbr.su.se>
> wrote:
>
> > Note the *important* adjective above ;)
> >
> > XML and GSL is irrelevant and I think we can be a bit smart and prune
> some
> > configs that we can be fairly confident that they're more or less
> > equivalent.
> >
> > Not sure what you mean by "3 parallelization"; if it's MPI, tMPI, and
> OpenMP
> > than it's two or four (depending on weather we want to test both
> MPI/tMPI +
> > OpenMP on/off).
> I meant no-mpi, libMPI, tMPI.
>
> > The number of (CPU) acceleration types can be slightly
> > reduced as I wouldn't consider anything but SSE/AVX that highly
> important.
> > Also, I'd consider only three OS-es and on some of them not all compilers
> > are available.
> >
> > So we're left with ~ 10x2x3x2x4 = 480 configs per OS (and less on Win).
> Sure but then you are already missing many possible configurations.

Right, but there are some that are relevant for many users and some that
are pretty much irrelevant for most (e.g. no tMPI & no MPI & no OpenMP).

I'm wondering whether it would make sense to pick randomly
> configurations from the all-vs-all configuration matrix. The most

important configurations would already be tested by the Gerrit
> auto-trigger and with the random selection all odd combinations have a
> change to get picked over time.

Randomly picking configurations could work, but unless the full coverage is
achieved in just a few weeks, it's not very effective, I think.

Additionally, the current gerrit auto-triggered configurations could use
some extending.

> > Assuming that each build takes ~3 min which is the case on 2-3 cores
> (note
> > that I mean build only!),
> No the build time is currently much higher on all VMs. The IO
> performance is a significant factor.

That's partly because of the tests. I/O is indeed an issue, we're planning
to move the virtual disks with jenkins worspaces to SSDs, somebody just
needs to find the time to do it.

> > Even if we multiply the above 24h/4cores/OS with 3-4, it's still a rather
> > manageable number especially that AFAIK hardware resources are not the
> > biggest issue.
> It should be easy to setup. I'm happy to help anyone who wants to add
> more Jenkins jobs.

I know a few more that should be added, I'll try to add more when the NxN
code is in.