[gmx-developers] How to get the number of frames contained by an .xtc trajectory file??

Paolo Franz paolo.franz at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 12:59:11 CEST 2012

Hello everybody!

I am wondering how I can figure out the number of frames contained in an
.xtc file. Indeed, I need to read a particular frame of a trajectory and I
thought that the function
xtc_seek_frame(FILE * , int *, int *)
would return 0 if the frame was there and 1 when it was not. Instead, if I
call it with a frame outside the boundaries it seems to go into an infinite
loop. What I am doing wrong? Is there a way to read the last frame of an
.xtc file?

Sincerely
Paolo