[gmx-developers] How to get the number of frames contained by an .xtc trajectory file??

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:11:36 CEST 2012

Hey Paolo,

I think I posted a script for extracting a last frame before, but if I
can't even find it myself... Here it is:

#!/usr/bin/env python

from struct import unpack
import sys

def i(x): return sum([ord(x[j])<<(24-j*8) for j in range(4)])

f = open(sys.argv[1])
tag = f.read(8)                   # Tag: magic number and number of atoms
n = 92 + i(f.read(84)[-4:])       # Size of frame in bytes

f.seek(-5*n/4, 2)                 # This should contain a complete frame
frame = f.read()                  # Read the remaining part in
frame = frame[frame.index(tag):]  # Find the tag

# Open the output file
if len(sys.argv) > 2:
    o = sys.argv[2]
else: