[gmx-developers] GPU acceleration on 48 core nodes

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Thu May 24 16:26:24 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 3:52 PM, Berk Hess <hess at kth.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently you shouldn't use the HT cores as the thread pinning locks to the
> wrong cores.

Unless you were actually doing it the right way by disabling pinning
and doing it manually through an mdrun wrapper with MPI.

For now only non-bonded calculation is offloaded to GPUs and
therefore, the GPU acceleration relies strongly on a balance between
CPU cores and GPU. This balance is somewhere around 4-8 cores/GPU on
Intel and 6-16 cores on AMD. As Berk mentioned, on Kepler we are
getting pretty good speedup compared to Fermi, so the balance would be
slightly different.

A few more things to note:
- if you have too many CPU cores per GPU, the CPU will be "too fast"
with completing PME and bonded calculations and will be waiting for
the GPU (which you'll see in the log);
- we have automated CPU-GPU load balancing with PME which will be
limited by the minimum cut-off set in the tpr;
- with large (1.5+ nm) cut-offs the performance improvement on the CPU
diminishes while the non-bonded workload keeps growing;
- you should as much as possible avoid running OpenMP across multiple
NUMA regions, that is multiple CPUs on Intel and half CPUs on
Interlagos (Interlagos = 2 dies with HT between them).

I could continue with the list of do-s and don't-s, but as we are
still in the polishing phase, let's leave that for after the beta
release.

Szilárd