[gmx-developers] Fluctuating charge code, Q-Chem interface, force matching.

Lee-Ping Wang leeping at stanford.edu
Mon Nov 5 08:58:23 CET 2012

Hi Gerrit and Michael,

Thanks for the replies.  Here are some more details.

- Concerning the interface with Q-Chem, we didn't have to make any changes
to the Q-Chem source code.  The two programs communicate using a file-based
interface; Gromacs writes two Q-Chem input files (qchem.in and ESPGrid) and
Q-Chem produces a file with electric fields (efield.dat).  Out of the three
features, this one is by far the easiest.  I'd be happy to provide some
example files and documentation.

I'm interested to hear about how you guys are planning to restructure the
QM/MM interface, because having a framework that works with multiple codes
is both challenging and an important problem.

- Regarding the fluctuating charge force field, it is integrated as follows:

a) All of the computation is done in a new file, qtpie.c .  Most of the
computation is linear algebra because it involves solving for the
fluctuating charges at each time step.
b) The forces are computed in do_force_lowlevel right before do_nonbonded is
executed.
c) The extra data (electronegativities etc.) is stored in the "t_mdatoms"
structure, but I can create a separate structure if desired.
d) The fluctuating charge parameters are read using an extra section in the
topology file ([ qtpie ], which fits between [ atoms ] and [ bonds ]).
e) One extra neighbor list is required, which is coded into ns.c .
f) Periodic boundary conditions are handled using shift functions where the
force goes smoothly to zero (i.e. the second derivative of the energy is
continuous).
g) It's currently working in 4.0.7, but I'm working on porting it over to
4.5.5.

I'm not an expert at GPU coding, but maybe there's a straightforward way to
use the GPU to execute the calls to BLAS and LAPACK.

I have a question about BLAS and LAPACK: Currently qtpie.c includes headers
from the Intel MKL library, "mkl_lapack.h" and "mkl_cblas.h".  This probably
needs to be changed.  What is the best way to call BLAS and LAPACK without
causing trouble for the user in the build process?  Should I be using the
Gromacs-provided libraries, and are there examples for how to do this?  (I
can't find many instances of linear algebra calls in the code base.)  Also,
how do I give users the option to link to external BLAS and LAPACK
libraries?

- Regarding the energy and force derivatives, I've been thinking about it
some more and I should probably discard this code.  I don't think it's
possible to have them as an external tool because they require changing a
lot of low-level subroutines in bondfree.c and the nonbonded inner loops.
It facilitates force field parameterization but it isn't required;
furthermore, it requires too many changes to the code base and can be very
cumbersome to maintain.

My force field parameterization methods are a different from Greg Voth's
methods although I learned a lot from his work.  My goal is to create a
general framework where a variety of reference data can be incorporated into
the objective function, so that force field parameters can be simultaneously
optimized to fit experimental and theoretical data in a systematic way.  I'm
implementing these methods into a software package for parameterization
called ForceBalance (https://simtk.org/home/forcebalance).  It works using
file-based interfaces with Gromacs and several other codes, and I might like
to submit it as a "user contribution" at some point.

Thanks,

- Lee-Ping