[gmx-developers] gmx performance-log database

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Wed Oct 24 18:35:06 CEST 2012

Hi,

As Berk said, we have considered creating a benchmark result
database/submission both for showing statistics on the web as well as
for performance regression testing. Actually, the task was even on a todo
list a while ago, but for various reasons it got dropped. The only result
was a very simple bash benchmark script which can be found here: git://
git.gromacs.org/benchmarks.git

IMHO the biggest barrier to having such a benchmark database/submission
system is the lack of standardized GROMACS benchmark input set. The rest
could be done with very little effort and pretty much anyone could help
with it.

There are several things that would need to be checked for reliable
> number though: correct input tpr, empty machine, etc.
> So we can't publish the numbers as reliable numbers.

Sure, but all that is doable and not rocket science, but
mostly straightforward software engineering. If we had
i) a standardized set of benchmark inputs and
ii) some simple working setup (or at least a design and a proof of concept
dumb implementation),
we could ask for help. Without these no one can help with the actual
implementation.

Cheers,
Szilárd