[gmx-developers] Problems with artificial minima when using soft-core potentials

Alan E. Mark a.e.mark at uq.edu.au
Mon Sep 3 17:08:34 CEST 2012

Dear Berk,
             This has been coming up in various circumstances for a long
time.  Bert de Groot recently however published a paper in JCTC
highlighting the problem in GROMACS and proposing a complex solution
which in fact makes the potential have a discontinuity at r=0. This also
makes the dynamics potentially unstable. Stable dynamics was exactly why
the soft-core was introduced in this form in the first place.  He claims
there is a problem with our soft-core when in reality the problem is in
the form implemented in GROMACS which is a pity.  I would also note
that  by being able to scale the alpha parameters for the LJ and
electrostatics separately (i.e. using a larger shifting distance for the
electrostatics) avoids any need to turn off the electrostatics first.
Turning the electrostatics off completely first can add the the range of
non-physical states that need to be sampled making the calculations
slower and more complex than necessary.

Alpesh and I are writing a response to Bert's paper and a few other
factors. I will send you a copy when we have a good draft.

Alan

This message was composed using voice recognition software. Please forgive any strange words I fail to correct.
Prof. Alan E. Mark

BRISBANE
Molecular Dynamics Group
School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences (SCMB)
University of Queensland
Brisbane, QLD 4072,
Australia

http://scmb.uq.edu.au/staff/alan-mark
http://compbio.biosci.uq.edu.au

Physical address:
Rm 331 Level 3, Molecular Biosciences Building (#76)

Email 		a.e.mark at uq.edu.au
Secretary:    	md.secretary at uq.edu.au
Phone:          +61-7-3365 4180
FAX:            +61-7-3365 3872
Secr:      	+61-7-3365 3821

Unless stated otherwise, this e-mail represents only the views of the Sender and not the views of The University of Queensland