[gmx-developers] Problems with artificial minima when using soft-core potentials

Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Sep 3 18:11:06 CEST 2012

> Turning the electrostatics off completely first can add the the range of
> non-physical states that need to be sampled making the calculations
> slower and more complex than necessary.

My personal observation with this is that if it can be done in the same
simulation setup (which it can in 4.6), then it's better to do it in two
steps (coul then LJ), because all of these issues just disappear.  1 step
does not appear to be much if any less efficient that 2 step in general, as
the form of the dhdl curve generally less complicated
(http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jcc.21909, Steinbrecher and Case).

I'd be interested to hear more about the problems that you're seeing.
Echoing Berk, his choice follows the Steinbrecher and Case suggestions,
which for ions means there will be no minima.  So I'm assuming that these
are more complicated molecules?  If so, how does one choose the right
combination of coul and vdw softcore?  Does it depend on the molecular
shape? It seems like it gets very complicated, and at a certain point, you
just bite the bullet in terms of having to potentially run 15 instead of 12
states and do it the simple way.

Best,
Michael Shirts
Assistant Professor