[gmx-developers] editing the code of the VDW and electric potentials and forces

Christoph Junghans junghans at votca.org
Sat Aug 31 03:38:38 CEST 2013

2013/8/30 Asaf Farhi <asaf.farhi at weizmann.ac.il>:
> Dear Prof. Shirts
>
> Thank you very much for the response and for telling me where the code is.
> Could you please explain in more detail the energy conservation? - why is it not conserved? and if so why is it problematic?
The problem is basically that for particle pairs with a distance
bigger than the cutoff distance, forces nor energies are calculated
and hence have contribution 0. You could do a simulation with an
infinite cutoff, which is what the allvsall kernel does.
You would need to modify src/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel_c/nb_kernel_allvsall.c

> Thanks in advance,
> Best regards,
> Asaf
>
> p.s the method has also other aspects that can be read. I hope that you'll find them interesting.

Christoph Junghans
Web: http://www.compphys.de