[gmx-developers] editing the code of the VDW and electric potentials and forces

Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu
Fri Aug 30 18:39:23 CEST 2013

> Thank you very much for the response and for telling me where the code is.
> Could you please explain in more detail the energy conservation? - why is it
> not conserved? and if so why is it problematic?

This is a fundamental principle in molecular dynamics -- the potential
energy and the force need to be consistent with each other.  Discontinuities
in the potential lead to infinite spikes in the force, which leads to lack
of energy conservation, which leads to the incorrect ensemble being sampled.
You may need to spend more time reading about molecular dynamics
fundamentals before you start changing code too much!

Best,
Michael Shirts
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemical Engineering