[gmx-developers] trajectory handling crash on windows (4.6.*)

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Sun Dec 8 06:09:12 CET 2013

Hi,

I think right now the method is only called from MASTER so a static
variable would in theory work, but that is risky because it would fail if
we ever call this method from other threads. Thus I suggest to allocate
this data on the heap with snew. Can you upload a patch to gerrit?

Roland

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Mirco Wahab <
mirco.wahab at chemie.tu-freiberg.de> wrote:

> File:
> src/gmxlib/gmxfio.c L.680
>
> * internal variant of get_file_md5 that operates on a locked file */
> static int gmx_fio_int_get_file_md5(t_fileio *fio, gmx_off_t offset,
>                                      unsigned char digest[])
> {
>      /*1MB: large size important to catch almost identical files */
> #define CPT_CHK_LEN  1048576
>      md5_state_t   state;
>      unsigned char buf[CPT_CHK_LEN];
>      gmx_off_t     read_len;
>      gmx_off_t     seek_offset;
>      int           ret = -1;
>
> Problem:
> The default stack size allocation Visual Studio 2012 is 1MB.
> The above code therefore will lead to stack corruption in
> some cases (it segfaulted).
>
> Solution (on 4.6.5):
>
> 687c687
> <     static unsigned char buf[CPT_CHK_LEN];
> ---
>  >     unsigned char buf[CPT_CHK_LEN];

> * Please search the archive at
> posting!