[gmx-developers] dssp

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 17:32:21 CEST 2013

Hi Gert, cc gmx-developers,

We do feel your pain - we get such emails too!

Our do_dssp tool requires the user either install dssp as
/usr/local/bin/dssp, or set the DSSP environment variable to point at
the installed dssp binary. This is one source of problems - users
often aren't savvy enough to do either correctly. Another source of
problems has been the change of invocation syntax with newer versions
of dssp. Installations of GROMACS 4.5 and earlier cannot cope with the
newer syntax if that's what is used by the dssp that the user has
installed. Unfortunately we can't do anything about that
retrospectively.

GROMACS 4.6 supports both dssp syntaxes, and defaults to using the new
syntax. This causes problems if they have an old dssp, but that
problem is probably not frequent! Anyway, as installations of earlier
GROMACS and DSSP versions die out, those problems will go away. We
still need a mechanism to find the dssp binary, though, and since
there's no reliable place to look for one at configure or run time,
there's no really good solution.

The solution with the least ongoing impact would be to bundle the dssp
source code and call it directly, which would also make these analyses
much faster for GROMACS users. That would require that we can get and
distribute the dssp source code under a license compatible with ours
(LGPL v2.1). We cannot do so with FFTW source, for example, because
they only make it available under GPL. Just being "open source" is not
enough, unfortunately.

If such a license is not acceptable to you, we could consider an
option for our build system that downloads a Linux binary from your
FTP site and installs it alongside GROMACS. That's similar to an
existing feature we have for letting the user download and build FFTW
as part of the GROMACS build. Such an option would have to be disabled
by default, and so I think that could be more work than its reward.

Regards,

Mark