[gmx-developers] dssp

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 22:28:14 CEST 2013

Gert and I have had some discussion off list. DSSP is available under
the Boost license, which is probably fine to work with LGPLv2.1 (but I
haven't looked into details). It turns out the DSSP webpage was in
need of an update - the new source is indeed freely available. It's
under 100K, too, so that could be acceptable IMO.

Unfortunately, it requires C++0x and four link-time Boost libraries,
which is rather beyond the planned requirements for GROMACS 5.0 (C++98
and very limited include-only Boost libraries). In theory, we could
detect all that (or just try it and see) to do an optional internal
build of dssp, but I think there are probably too few users with all
the dependencies satisfied who want do_dssp and who would otherwise
have generated email traffic through being unable to download a binary
or set an environment variable.

Debian and Gentoo have new-generation dssp pacakges, so it is
reasonable to add the couple of lines of CMake detection for the dssp
or mkdssp executables in the obvious places, rather than hard-code
/opt/local/bin/dssp (or whatever we do now). We could have a CMake
option (off by default) to download and install a dssp binary, but I'm
not very keen on that.

Mark