[gmx-developers] Question on SHAKE equations

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Mon Jun 10 13:26:26 CEST 2013

On 6/10/13 12:15 , David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 2013-06-10 10:57, "Pablo García Risueño" wrote:
>> Thank you very much for the answer. It is said that:
>>
>> "A practical issue is that not many people use shake, since LINCS
>> works in
>> parallel too."
>>
>> But I thought that SHAKE was used when bond angles are constrained, this
>> is when bond lengths of heavy atoms are constrained (since bond
>> lengths of
>> heavy atoms and bond angles of hydrogen have the same period). Isn't
>> this
>> correct?
>>
> That's up to the user, but LINCS can be used too for angles when the
> number of iterations is increased a bit (although not too many people
> use angle constraints either). Nevertheless gromacs supports the shake
> algorithm and hence it should work.
But note that constraining all-angles will lead to incompatible
constraints, unless the molecule is very small.
Constraining all angles involving hydrogens has similar issues. We use
virtual sites to remove H-angle vibrations.
So in practice the only molecule for which angle constraints are used is
water, but there SETTLE is algorithm of choice.

Cheers,

Berk