[gmx-developers] PME-Switch vs. PME

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Wed Mar 6 19:29:19 CET 2013

Hi,

You don't mention your, critical, cut-off parameters.
I guess you used a long switching range. The switch is only intended to
avoid
cut-off artifacts (and therefore does not act on the reciprocal).

Any switching function should only be applied over a very short range.
As with PME ewald_rtol is usually 10^-5, you don't really need the switch,
and if you do want to use it, you should switch over 0.05 nm or less.

But in 4.6 you can use exact cut-off's, either with the Verlet cut-off
scheme,
or at a high cost also with the group cut-off scheme. Thus PME-switch is
no longer needed
and we should deprecate it in 4.6.

Cheers,

Berk