[gmx-developers] PME-Switch vs. PME

Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Mar 6 20:54:41 CET 2013

Echoing Berk's comments, yes, PME-switch is only intended for very short
switches (0.05 or shorter).  There is no way to propagate the effect of the
switch into the reciprocal space (without large amounts of extra
computation).

Berk, yes, we should synchronize best practices for 4.6.  It's still not
100% clear to me whether these exact cutoffs properly interact with free
energy code.  For example, it's not clear to me how the dispersion term is
calculated here, which is important to get right for free energy
calculations. I don't think any (non-buggy) functionality should be changed
for 4.6.2, but we can definitely figure out better defaults and warnings for
4.6.2 to make things clearer and errors like this are clearly warned
against.  You shouldn't be able to have a PME-switch bigger than 0.05
without seeing a lot of warnings.

Best,
Michael Shirts
Assistant Professor