[gmx-developers] Cleaning in master / space wars

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Sat Mar 16 23:19:55 CET 2013

Hi,

we already fixed the whitespace for all files both in 4.6 and master. See
http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/845 for details.
If you use the script/config in
https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/2155/(either by manually running the
script on your branch before merging or
using the gitattributes) you should have no problem with merging.

Roland

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 5:02 PM, David van der Spoel
<spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just merged the master branch in one of my development branches and
> had to do a look of fixes due to "cleaning up" in the master branch of
> files that I had edited as well. The problem is extra indentation etc.,
> renaming of variables from using underscores to Capitals etc. Such
> changes are then hard to distinguish from the real code changes, which
> usually is minute.
>
> Since there are quite a few branches out there I suspect more people
> have this problem. So the question here is whether we can
>
> A) install a policy where we do NOT change the indentation of code and
> spacing in general just for better looks. One more reason for this is
> that it makes tracking history difficult.
>
> or
>
> B) update the indentation of all code at once to make it comply with the
> 4 spaces indentation that is to be the new standard. Drawback is that
> history tracking becomes more difficult, but at least we'll get it over
> and done with.
>
> (changes were in physics.[ch], pdb2top.[ch], gen_ad.[ch], atomprop.[ch]
> and maybe more)
>
> Comments?
> Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205.
> spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309