[gmx-developers] no delimiters in file names from 5.0?

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 22:08:35 CET 2013

Hi,

Some new C files in (say) fileio and timing modules have underscores. The
new C++ files tend to be named according to a major class that they
implement, which are also not named with delimiters. Not needing to
interrupt keyboard flow with shift-minus is a small advantage, but I would
prefer readability over that! Different people's brains work differently,
too!

I'm happy with any name so long as un-delimited concatenation is at most
about three words (for readability), and does not prefix gmx or a module
name without due reason. For example, gmxassert.h is fine (to avoid
ambiguity with assert.h), but my perfect world would not have files with
repetitive names like

src/gromacs/gmxlib/nonbonded/nb_kernel_avx_256_single/nb_kernel_template_avx_256_single.pre

I'd prefer names like

src/gromacs/groupkernels/avx_256_single/template.pre

but people editing multiple template.pre files might not like that. How
much of a problem do people have with CMakeLists.txt files? I solve that
one with

(require 'uniquify)
(setq uniquify-buffer-name-style 'reverse)

in my .emacs file. So when I have multiple such files open, I have to
switch buffers between CMakeLists.txt/gromacs and CMakeLists.txt/mdlib.
That works fine for me - and there's no penalty when there's only one such
file open.

Mark