[gmx-developers] no delimiters in file names from 5.0?

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at scilifelab.se
Thu Nov 28 22:20:52 CET 2013

Hi,

On 28 Nov 2013, at 22:08, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some new C files in (say) fileio and timing modules have underscores. The new C++ files tend to be named according to a major class that they implement, which are also not named with delimiters. Not needing to interrupt keyboard flow with shift-minus is a small advantage, but I would prefer readability over that! Different people's brains work differently, too!

Wasn’t the plan to convert to camelCase?

Part of that was to make it clear what things had been translated into C++ while the move is in progress, but another small advantage over the underscores is that it is easy to add _lots_ of delimiters in long names without extending the length of the identifier, instead of coming up with nonstandard abbreviations that are hard for other developers to decipher.

I would also hate to have different standards for short vs. long identifiers, with each developer deciding when an underscore might look good to have, or when a name short enough to do without it. With gmxCamelCase we would always write gmxAssert.cpp too?

Cheers,

Erik