[gmx-developers] no delimiters in file names from 5.0?

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at scilifelab.se
Thu Nov 28 22:56:19 CET 2013

Hi,

On 28 Nov 2013, at 22:52, Szilárd Páll <pall.szilard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Erik Lindahl
> <erik.lindahl at scilifelab.se> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 28 Nov 2013, at 22:08, Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Some new C files in (say) fileio and timing modules have underscores. The new C++ files tend to be named according to a major class that they implement, which are also not named with delimiters. Not needing to interrupt keyboard flow with shift-minus is a small advantage, but I would prefer readability over that! Different people's brains work differently, too!
>>
>> Wasn’t the plan to convert to camelCase?
>
> For file names camelCase may not the best idea given that case
> sensitivity is not supported (or used) by some file system (e.g. HFS+
> by default, AFAIK).

As far as I know, those systems still preserve case even if they are not sensitive to it during selection.

Still, as Mark said I hadn’t thought about the fact that filenames are different from identifiers. No strong feelings either way from my side when it comes to filenames, but a standard is good.

Cheers,

Erik