[gmx-developers] Hidden modules in gmx?

ms devicerandom at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 22:59:17 CEST 2013

On 22/09/13 22:30, Erik Lindahl wrote:

> As we've discussed at a couple of occasions, many of the analysis
> tools have way too many options that have only been tested in 1-2
> special cases by the author, and when people test these on other
> systems it frequently breaks. I would like to revert back to a case
> where everything we present to users has been tested extensively, and
> in a huge number of combinations.  Any code that has only been tested
> in a special case does not belong in the public distribution, IMHO.

I am a gmx user (joined this ML because I needed to patch gmx long time
ago for a project, still lurking), and please don't do that. Warning
extensively that it is beta/poorly tested code is essential, sure.
Removing it altogether is not so nice. It *might* work anyway, and even
if it doesn't, people may still be able to patch it, by using it,
noticing the break and remedy by themselves - and bringing the patch to
devs.

Am I being naive?

thanks,
Massimo