[gmx-developers] Hidden modules in gmx?

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at scilifelab.se
Sun Sep 22 23:04:07 CEST 2013

Hi Massimo,

We haven't decided anything yet, but the ideal solution (again, IMHO) would be to have a contrib-module that could be downloaded or enabled at compile time, and then you would get a number of extensions that are less tested.

The problem is that while some users realize they need to check their results carefully, other's won't, and then they sometimes end up giving Gromacs a bad reputation for being "buggy", just because they were able to use some esoteric  feature. I don't really have any strong preference how things are set apart, but it is important that we discriminate better between code that _has_ been extensively tested and some random contributed function that might - or might not - work.

At the end of the day,"tested code" comes down to volunteers who are willing to check that it works!

Cheers,

Erik