[gmx-developers] Non-periodic interaction in a periodic box

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Thu Aug 21 09:11:32 CEST 2014

Hi,

But there is another issue here. With domain decomposition different
parts of the molecules are on different MPI ranks, so you will have to
decide where to calculate the interaction and do extra communication (in
general), since the molecule is probably larger than the cut-off distance.

The pull code solves both issues by calculate the COMs using so-called
"pbc" atoms. The distance for each COM is determined, with pbc, relative
to a chosen "pbc" atom. The COM is then the coordinate of the pbc atom
plus the COM distance from this atom. All ranks then do the, identical,
pull force calculation. But this only works, relatively, efficiently
when there are few pull coordinates.
If you have few of those interactions, you could use a similar
mechanism, but that will require some coding.

Cheers,

Berk