[gmx-developers] Non-periodic interaction in a periodic box

Carsten Kutzner ckutzne at gwdg.de
Thu Aug 21 09:55:32 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 21 Aug 2014, at 09:11, Berk Hess <hess at kth.se> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> But there is another issue here. With domain decomposition different parts of the molecules are on different MPI ranks, so you will have to decide where to calculate the interaction and do extra communication (in general), since the molecule is probably larger than the cut-off distance.
>
> The pull code solves both issues by calculate the COMs using so-called "pbc" atoms. The distance for each COM is determined, with pbc, relative to a chosen "pbc" atom. The COM is then the coordinate of the pbc atom plus the COM distance from this atom. All ranks then do the, identical, pull force calculation. But this only works, relatively, efficiently when there are few pull coordinates.
> If you have few of those interactions, you could use a similar mechanism, but that will require some coding.
I believe the mechanisms in mdlib/groupcoord.h already do what is needed without any restraining.
If you define a group of atoms on which these special interactions should work, e.g. the protein,
then the ‘communicate_group_positions()’ routine will put these positions in an array
readable on all nodes. The PBC representation of these atoms will always fit the starting
structure that is found in the .tpr, none of the group’s atoms will do a PBC ‘jump’, but
have a continuous trajectory in time (at least in the ‘xcoll’ array provided by the routine).

It does not matter how tight the box is then.

These mechanisms parallelize quite well (they are used in essential dynamics and the rotation code).

Best,
  Carsten