[gmx-developers] tpic energies - COUL_SR

Rui Fartaria rui.fartaria at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 13:29:00 CET 2014

Hi all,

I am a new user/developer of GROMACS. I am using GROMACS 4.6.3
My goal is to extend the package GromPy, created by René Pool but I am
still new to the code.

In the meanwhile I wanted to calculate the excess chemical potential
using TPI/TPIC. TPIC is preferable as my systems tend to be highly
anisotropic and therefore TPIC allows me to choose where to sample.

I noticed that some energies for the insertion of molecules were
extremely low. To check if everything was working ok, I prepared the
following test:

  * I have a configuration without the inserted molecule and the same
    configuration with the molecule inserted.
  * The molecule in question is monoethanolamine (MEA).
  * MEA topology was modified with nrexcl=5 so that intra molecular
    interactions were not an issue for comparing insertion energies.
  * I run 1 time step in each and then run "echo '1 2 3 4 5 6 0' |
    g_energy" to get the different terms for potential energy.
  * When calculating the differences between the "inserted" and "non
    inserted" configurations I corrected for the potential energy due to
    angles and dihedrals.
  * I hacked the tpi.c source code and forced it to insert the same
    configuration as in the tests described above.

I prepared at tgz with the tests and the code for the hacked tpi.c. I
can be downloaded from:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0lnjancduzi2frf/example_to_send.tgz

As I have tested it, if you compile GROMACS 4.6.3 with the my modified
version of tpi.c and run "bash run_examples.bash" in the example folder
you should get the file result.txt as shown below (really hope it works
for you too):

You can see from the results below that the energies between the
standard calculation for potential energy and the TPIC potential energy
do not match. I searched the archives and the only reference to a
problem like this was due to problems in the reciprocal sum in PME. In
my case the problem is in the Coulomb real space sum. This is affected
by a cutoff and I could not locate the exact place in the code where
these calculations are done.

The LJ sums match, apart from long range corrections. I also find it
strange that the reciprocal part of the coulomb term is 0.0 in TPIC.

I would be really thankful if someone could help me understand where the
problem is. Hopefully you already know.

Kind regards,

Rui Fartaria

   Angle      RB            LJ    Coul(SR)   Coul(RECIP)  Potential
  15611.243  -9512.769  -9837.916 -13497.961   -174.225 -17411.627
  15649.481  -9521.968  -9842.127 -13493.568   -174.517 -17382.699
     38.238     -9.199     -4.211      4.393     -0.292     28.928
Potential - Angle - RB =     -0.111

RESULTS FROM TPI
Using GMX_CAVITY_CENTER cavity

WARNING: USING CUSTOM CONF FOR INSERTION

epot = -65.895645
embU = 21686035981.671570
F_COUL_RECIP = 0.000000
F_COUL_SR = -61.993370