[gmx-developers] make docs-all successfully completes but generates no docs

Szilárd Páll pall.szilard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 21:01:14 CET 2014

Hi,

Thanks Teemu for the quick reply!

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Teemu Murtola <teemu.murtola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Szilárd Páll <pall.szilard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've just ran into an annoying issue which I could not figure out. It
>> seems that no matter what I do, the make-ing the docs-all target
>> completes successfully, but the result is empty docs directories. Any
>> ideas what could be wrong?
>>

> What is in the log files? What happens if you run, e.g., "doxygen
> Doxyfile-user" in the doxygen subdirectory in the build directory? Those can
> give you clues what is actually happening. This might happen if Doxygen
> actually terminates unexpectedly without writing anything to stderr (which
> those .tmp files seem to indicate). Perhaps the build system could be
> improved a bit to also fail the build in such a case.

Indeed, this doxygen simply does not work - it crashes, chokes or
whatever, but the log files are all empty. The root index.html has
some stuff, but otherwise it's all blank.

It'd be great if the build system could at least warn if something goes wrong.

I was really not expecting such a trivial error as all make doc-*
targets succeeded. So I kept digging for quite a while, I tried three
different machines with different doxygen versions, but of course,
none of them had as new of a version as 1.8.5. I could not find any
documentation or reference to a required doxygen version on the wiki
(there is nothing on doxygen on the wiki, it seems?).

>> Here are the steps to repro the issue, used current master, cmake
>> 2.8.12.1 and doxygen 1.7.3.
>

> To get meaningful documentation with warnings that somehow resemble Jenkins,
> you will need Doxygen 1.8.5 (as documented here:
> http://jenkins.gromacs.org/job/Doxygen_Nightly_master/javadoc/html-lib/page_doxygen.xhtml).
> Doxygen versions are sufficiently dissimilar that it may be that the old
> version now completely chokes on the new input. Does using a more recent
> Doxygen version help?

Yes, that works.

Still don't know why does not want to ref a global enum (with
#EnumName), but that's a different story.

Szilárd