[gmx-developers] make docs-all successfully completes but generates no docs

Teemu Murtola teemu.murtola at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 20:01:59 CET 2014

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Szilárd Páll <pall.szilard at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> I've just ran into an annoying issue which I could not figure out. It
> seems that no matter what I do, the make-ing the docs-all target
> completes successfully, but the result is empty docs directories. Any
> ideas what could be wrong?

What is in the log files? What happens if you run, e.g., "doxygen
Doxyfile-user" in the doxygen subdirectory in the build directory? Those
can give you clues what is actually happening. This might happen if Doxygen
actually terminates unexpectedly without writing anything to stderr (which
those .tmp files seem to indicate). Perhaps the build system could be
improved a bit to also fail the build in such a case.

Here are the steps to repro the issue, used current master, cmake
> 2.8.12.1 and doxygen 1.7.3.

To get meaningful documentation with warnings that somehow resemble
Jenkins, you will need Doxygen 1.8.5 (as documented here:
http://jenkins.gromacs.org/job/Doxygen_Nightly_master/javadoc/html-lib/page_doxygen.xhtml).
Doxygen versions are sufficiently dissimilar that it may be that the old
version now completely chokes on the new input. Does using a more recent
Doxygen version help?

- Teemu