[gmx-developers] reproducability of md sims

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 12:40:36 CET 2014

On Sun, Nov 30, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Carsten Kutzner <ckutzne at gwdg.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 30 Nov 2014, at 11:17, Berk Hess <hess at kth.se> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > There is documentation on this somewhere.
> > Even when running with MPI and/or OpenMP simulations should be
> reproducible when ran on an identical run
> But reductions of several summands into a sum do not yield a bit-identical
> result across runs.
> Therefore I think at least with MPI and/or OpenMP we will never get
> bit-identical
> trajectories unless the order of summation is fixed somehow for such
> operations.

True, but not the whole story. You can leave the order free if you
pre-round the operands such that the result is provably insensitive to the
order of the operations. See
http://htor.inf.ethz.ch/publications/img/arteaga-fuhrer-hoefler-reproducible-apps-ipdps14.pdf.
So one can have fully deterministic forces in MD by simply paying a couple
of flops per force component in each inner loop.

Mark

Best,