[gmx-developers] standardizing spelling of Gromacs

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Jan 14 15:05:38 CET 2015

On 2015-01-14 14:17, Mark Abraham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We've had a few partial discussions of how we should spell the name of
> our wonderful software. Nobody seems to have strong opinions either way.
> We may as well standardize on something. I suggest
>
> 1. The capitalization "Gromacs"
> 2. That it doesn't officially abbreviate anything

There is one important objection against 1 and that is history. All
official GROMACS papers have capitalized the name.

We don't want to have to explain to anyone what is the difference
between Charmm and CHARMM, sorry Gromacs and GROMACS when there is none.

As regards 2, we all know GROMACS means many things.

> The rationale for 2 is that there's no longer a strong link with
> Groningen (though naturally our colleagues there are most welcome on board!)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.