[gmx-developers] standardizing spelling of Gromacs

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jan 14 15:12:47 CET 2015

On 1/14/15 9:05 AM, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 2015-01-14 14:17, Mark Abraham wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We've had a few partial discussions of how we should spell the name of
>> our wonderful software. Nobody seems to have strong opinions either way.
>> We may as well standardize on something. I suggest
>>
>> 1. The capitalization "Gromacs"
>> 2. That it doesn't officially abbreviate anything
>>
> There is one important objection against 1 and that is history. All official
> GROMACS papers have capitalized the name.
>
> We don't want to have to explain to anyone what is the difference between Charmm
> and CHARMM, sorry Gromacs and GROMACS when there is none.

I agree with this; CHARMm (commercial) vs. CHARMM (academic) is confusing enough...

I am simply lazy when typing "GROMACS" in emails and such, but for anything
official (papers, presentations) I always use the proper capitalization.  I
think it should be kept that way, too.  If my laziness on the mailing list is
hurting "brand identity," I will gladly adapt :)

-Justin

> As regards 2, we all know GROMACS means many things.
>

>> The rationale for 2 is that there's no longer a strong link with
>> Groningen (though naturally our colleagues there are most welcome on board!)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy