[gmx-developers] Patch bonanza at gerrit. How to merge all that stuff?

Erik Lindahl erik.lindahl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 01:09:18 CEST 2015

Hi David!

5.1 is closed since Mark released the beta, only direct bug-fixes go there!

There are two categories of C++ stuff:

1) Mere translation of old C files, but fixing them to be C++-compliant and avoid all warnings with the c++ static analyzer and cppcheck. These changes can touch several files, but the do not change any functionality and should be very easy to review. The main reason for these bulk moves is to make it possible to do more real C++ translation (which we can’t do when there are still C files that also need to use the functionality).

2) Teemu’s refactorization. This is real C++ stuff :-) Unfortunately I haven’t done as much there, but I’m working on it…

As for patches in general, I think we should stop thinking in terms of changes that “must” go in any particular release (or date) - as people review things we’ll eventually get to states where several developers think a change is ready to go in, and that’s when it happens. That per se is a strong incentive to write shorter changes (which I should know, since some of the large ones are my fault…)

Cheers,

Erik