[gmx-developers] GROMACS OpenCL on Gallium

Vedran Miletić rivanvx at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 19:46:30 CET 2015

Hello Szilard and others,

I have just been talking to Tom Stellard from AMD regarding the same
topic (synchronicity, anyone?). Getting stuff to work on open source
stack without any proprietary components and have it neatly packaged
in downstream distributions has been my primary motive here as well.

The problem at this point is not on GROMACS side, but on the side of
open source driver for Radeon GPUs. There are two Radeon drivers in
Mesa which support OpenCL:
1) r600g, which roughly supports HD 5000/6000 and low-end HD 7000/8000
(pre-GCN architecture),
2) radeonsi, which supports high-end HD 7000 and newer cards (GCN architecture).

The main issue with GROMACS, perhaps among other issues, is missing
image support. r600g image support was implemented in a GSoC project
[1]. Patches have not been upstreamed yet, but they are available on
GitHub [2]. I have a Caicos card, and I plan to give those patches a
shot if it is not too much work. Given that I get it working, I might
go the extra mile and try to make them ready for inclusion in upstream
Mesa, but no promises here.

On the side of radeonsi, I will be working on the OpenCL image support
in the coming weeks/months. My goal is to get GROMACS working first,
and then see if we can do anything with regards to performance on the
Radeon driver side or GROMACS side. I have already allocated the time
for it, and I have a Bonaire card to work with and will get a Tonga
card soon.

Regards,
Vedran Miletic

[1] https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/details/google/gsoc2015/zogi/5738600293466112